Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Google maps not accure with latitude & longitude?!?

I have purchased a tracker which works fine, and sends me lat%26amp;long by text, but when I type them into google maps it is about 100 miles out! If I use a website like tracker2map.com it works perfectly! Any ideas? The co-ordinates are 51.804445,-0.734908 This is just a test!Google maps not accure with latitude %26amp; longitude?!?
I get the same result whether I type these coordinates into Google maps or MapQuest: a point along Aston Clinton Rd. just outside of Aylesbury, England. If that's where it's supposed to point to and you didn't get that result... are you sure you're typing the negative sign in before 0.734908?



If you don't put that minus sign in, your point ends up way east of there, near Tiptree, England. In fact, if that's what you're doing, you're lucky you're only 100mi off (an artifact of mapping locations near the "mirror point" of 0 longitude, the prime meridian (aka Greenwich Observatory's longitude) being - longitudinally speaking of course -being half way between the positive and negative longitude values you're mapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment