Friday, February 10, 2012

Google Earth- what are these pock marks?

While looking in Afganistan near Kabul on Google Earth, I found these weird pockmarks leading a trail miles long and was wondering if anyone knew what they were. I also found similar pock mark trails in Iran. Any help??





heres the coordinates.



latitude 34掳41'57.07"N

longitude 69掳14'27.46"EGoogle Earth- what are these pock marks?
Those are irrigation sites - wells set in circular dikes, where water can be pumped up and stored so it can be spread out to the fields. If you follow them up to the north (they go for MILES!!), you will see some of them with water in them. Please note that the pics were taken in October of '04, so the growing season is over. If the pics were taken in the summer, all of the "pock marks" would be full of water.
I was going to say bomb craters but they are too well spaced apart. As well as there are LOTS of them around that area, to the south and east as well.



I am honestly stumped and don't know. If someone else can find the answer please post. I am curious now too.Google Earth- what are these pock marks?
I dont know, the only reason I am answering is to find this question again.Google Earth- what are these pock marks?
It looks like the surrounding area was flooded at one point and when it dries it left that think dried clay/mud chunks. As for the pock marks maybe they are drilled into the ground to help capture the water for farming......
I was able to trace a line of them from a road at

34.665545掳

69.278075掳

for about 7 miles north towards the Bagram airport.

----------------

I can't think of any agricultural use for holes spaced 30 to 40 yards apart. Must conclude that it is a line of foxholes.
  • aveeno cream
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment