Friday, February 10, 2012

Kubuntu on Dell Latitude C600 Screen Resolution?

I've Googled like mad and found dozens of forums and wiki pages discussing this issue. Unfortunately they disagree and I can't make any of the solutions presented work.



Majority of sources state that this laptop has 1400x1050 capability and (F2-Setup) tells me I have 8 Mb video ram, which should be enough for that -- but I can't get even 1024x768. A fresh install of Kubuntu 8.10 boots up to 800x600 with no option in System Settings-Display for anything better.



I've tried editing xorg.conf in many ways; all fail. I can get 1024x768 at "Depth 16", which equates to thousands of colors, not millions, and which screws up Battle for Wesnoth, for example. I'm looking for 1400x1050 in millions of colors.



1) Is there some weirdness about this model, with some LCD screens only good for 1024x768? I see some forum posts by C600 owners who get only this much, then say "problem solved". If so, how could I find out the true native resolution of my machine?



2) What must I do to get the best resolution and depth out of what I have got? I need clear, complete instructions that assume nothing, since I'm a Linux novice. I'm willing to learn but the screen resolution issue must be solved before I can do anything practical.



PLEASE do not try to answer this question unless you have a Dell Latitude C600 running Kubuntu 8.10 and you absolutely know the required procedure! Please do not Google and link me to a bunch of sites I've already read! At least half those sites are wrong and there's no obvious way to tell which.Kubuntu on Dell Latitude C600 Screen Resolution?
wow, 8mb video ram, thats ancient... sorry though, it looks like you have tried all of the things I would have thought

No comments:

Post a Comment