Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Is there any resource online for determining exact latitude & longitude?

when i say exact, i mean the front door to an apartment building in Rome. i've found plenty of sites on google but none that allow you to fine tune a location...Is there any resource online for determining exact latitude %26amp; longitude?
It depends upon the clarity of the satellite photo over your location. For example, with Google Earth's download, I can get the exact lat. %26amp; long. of my front porch with the pointer. The photo details are so clear, you can even tell that my wife was sunning herself in the back deck lounge chair. But that's just my property. I've used Google Earth for other locations, and cannot get a view "low" enough or detailed enough to do that.



It sounds like that might be your issue. If you haven't downloaded it, and just used online-hosted sites, download Google Earth. Details below.



I've used it for mapping out routes for kiteboarding, etc. You can see the differences I am talking about by looking at some pictures from my web site. Some locations are fuzzy and indistinct beaches. Others, you can see the details of the sand dunes on. It just depends.



I am not sure if it is cost prohibitive or not, but you could always get a handheld, cheapo GPS and stand by the door. I carry 2 cheap Magellan GPS's on the water, and wont spend much on them due to water damage concerns. I bought them from Tiger GPS online (no, I don't work for them and am not compensated for saying that...). They were about $100 then, I just looked them up and they have units below $64, now.



Good Luck, and send me an e-mail if I can be of any further help...





Sincerely,



Chaz@XLakeMI.comIs there any resource online for determining exact latitude %26amp; longitude?
Google Earth gives you the exact Latitude and Longitude of the pointer at the bottom of the screen, but it is more convenient that writing it down to put a placemarker at the location then right click on the placemarker and select properties. The lat and long are listed in plain text and you can cut and paste them elsewhere. They even change while the properties are open if you shift the placemarker.

No comments:

Post a Comment