Saturday, February 4, 2012

Can I program Longitude/Latitude coords in a GPS?

I am planning on buying a cheap GPS (probably a Garmin Etrex H), but I would like to be able to store longitude and latitude coordinates (from Google Maps) while I'm at home.



That is, I'd like to be able to find a spot with Google Earth, save it's long/lat coords to my GPS, then walk there using my GPS.



Would that be possible with the Garmin Etrex? The online specs say that it doesn't have "memory", but surely it has to be able to store some information, it does store waypoints, etc. What does it mean to say that it doesn't have memory? What are waypoints?

Can I program Longitude/Latitude coords in a GPS?
The eTrex H can store 500 waypoints. It has memory, but the amount of memory is irrelevant because you can only store waypoints, tracks, and routes. Those are limited by specific quantities, not the amount of memory available. In more capable units, the amount of memory matters because you can store maps in the memory and the amount of map area you can store varies depending on the detail of the map in the area you are storing. It makes more sense to say you can store 24MB of maps than to say you can store 35,000 roads and 93,000 points of interest (those are made-up numbers).



As for saving coordinates from Google Earth, do note that Google Earth might be using a different coordinate format than the eTrex. Either one can be changed, but I think the default for Google Earth is degrees minutes seconds while the eTrex uses decimal minutes. Make sure to set the GPS receiver and Google Earth to use the same coordinate format, otherwise you won't be able to enter the coords on the GPS receiver or you will enter the coords wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment